Trying to keep a positive attitude under stress is definitely not very easy.
I’m trying to think of something wise to say, and mostly I just want to complain and stress. Neither of which is going to do me or anyone else any good.
One thing that sometimes helps is a gratitude exercise. Which is, to simply list some good things in your life that you are grateful for. I don’t really think this is going to calm me down or make me feel better, but it won’t make me feel worse. And it helps reinforce the brain pattern of focussing on the positive.
- I am grateful for a social ride tonight, overcast and cooler weather (but still plenty hot), and making it okay on my commuter bike.
- I am grateful that my classes are going well, and that I am providing an appropriate level of challenge for my honors students.
- I am grateful that my paper is fixable, even if I am stuck right now on what to do with it. I will try again tomorrow. It will be published.
- I am grateful that I sometimes take interesting pictures.
- I am grateful that I get to take so many pictures. Grateful for digital cameras and “what the heck” and somewhere to post them.
- I am grateful for books. Sometimes when everything else feels bad, I can lose myself in a good one. Most recently deeply enjoyed book was Kristin Cashore’s Bitterblue, a follow up to Graceling. I am looking forward to reading her middle book, Fire, when the library gets it for me.
- I am grateful that I have good people around me who will help me get my issue resolved, even if I don’t completely trust the higher-ups involved.
- And I am grateful that I can set a limit and stick to it. I can walk out if there isn’t a better option.
- I am grateful for good friends and good food.
- I am grateful that the six-legged creatures have remained outside today.
- I am grateful for anxiety medication, and refills of such. It was a 3 dose day today (4th coming before bed.)
- I am grateful to make a blog post.
That’s enough for today.